Azorean Experiences - Terceira - OPEI
A Cultural and Historical Experience
Learn all about the cultural and historical heritage of Terceira with this unique program. The experiences provided by this program include sleeping in a house from the time of the island's settlement, discovering the history of the Unesco Heritage city of Angra do Heroísmo and enjoying typical meals from this island in the company of the owners of the Quintas where you will spend the night.
Day by Day
Day 1 - Terceira
Meet and greet at the airport of Terceira. Assistance for car rental at the airport. Overnight at Quinta do Espírito Santo, a traditional two-storey building within an 18th-century property classified as historic landmark since 2010.
Day 2 - Terceira
Quinta do Espírito Santo is carefully restored and decorated. The Dining Room in the "Casa Grande" is decorated in real Art-Deco furniture, real antiques, old paintings, and engravings. Your host Dr.Francisco Maduro-Dias and his lovely wife Lucília will share with you their home and the knowledge of Dr. Maduro-Dias about the Azorean History.
Day 3 - Terceira
After breakfast, check out and drive to the Quinta do Martelo, your accommodation for the next days. Half day tour of Quinta do Martelo, personally guided through the property by your host, Gilberto Vieira, who is the president of the association of Rural Tourism Houses. The tour will give you a unique insight into rural life and how farms have evolved on the island since the first settlers arrived in the late 1500s. Throughout the visit you will learn about the methods of raising animals and the use of biological products to cultivate plants and vegetables. The farm has some endemic vegetation, fruits and aromatic herbs, some of which are used as spices and to flavour local teas. Discover all about Azorean art and traditional crafts, some of which are on the verge of extinction. Lunch is included at the propertys restaurant A Venda do Ti Manuel da Quinta, which is accessed through an antique grocery store that has been open since the mid 20th century. You will be treated to homemade corn and wheat bread with locally produced butter, sweet breads, vegetable soup made from the farms biological produce and the traditional island dish of Alcatra (rump beef stew).
Day 4 - Terceira
Free day to explore the island.
Day 5 - Terceira
Car delivery at the airport.
Included / Not Included
- 4 nights (breakfast included depending on the hotel selected)
- Note: At Quinta do Martelo you can intensify your Experience by sleeping at Casa do Povoador, a reconstruction of a house of the first settlers on the island, it is equipped decorative pieces according to that era. If you wish to sleep in Casa do Povoador instead of the Main House, please advise on your booking request.
- Meet & greet at the airport of Terceira and assistance with car rental
- Half Day City Tour Angra do Heroísmo
- Entrance fee to the museum of Angra do Heroísmo
- Entrance fee to the Palácio dos Capitães Generais
- Entrance fee to the Sé Catedral
- Entrance fee to the Convento de São Gonçalo
- Dinner at Quinta do Espírito Santo
- Half Day Tour Quinta do Martelo
- Typical Lunch of Alcatra at Quinta do Martelo
- Car rental as per program description:
- Unlimited Kms
- Insurance SCDW
- Insurance TP
- Additional driver
- Airport delivery & collection fees
- Symbolic contribution to social & environmental institutions: Rabo de Peixe Sabe Sonhar & Life Priolo: 1€
- Flight ticket to and from the Azores
- Meals other than those mentioned on the program
- Upgrades to superior rooms
- Supplements to reservations in hotels other than those mentioned in the program
- Supplements for private tours
- Car rental extras not mentioned above (Car rental extras in the Details section)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic some of the entrances and activities on the program may have to be cancelled or done in private (subject to supplements) for safety reasons according to the number of participants. Updated information will be provided with the confirmation of the reservation.
Some entrances and activities on the program may have to be cancelled or done in private (subject to supplements) for safety reasons according to the number of participants.Car Rental Details:
- Car Rental Company: ILHA VERDE
- Necessary documents: ID or Passport, driver license and VISA or similar must be presented by clients at car rental.
- Age of the driver: Minimum 18 and at least one-year license.
- Young driver: drivers aged between 18 and 23 years inclusive: 2,60€ / per day (maximum 26,00€ / per each rental)