Azorean Experiences - São Miguel - OPEI
Sustainable Living Experiences
Come and join us on an Azorean Experience! From beekeeping to dairy farming and traditional fishing, this program has it all!
Day by Day
Day 1 - São Miguel
Meet and greet at the airport of São Miguel. Assistance for car rental.
Day 2 - São Miguel
As the experience of the day, we challenge you to pay a visit to the most hardworking creatures on our planet, bees, and learn their importance in preserving nature and life on our planet. These little black and gold stripes creatures are some of the most important pollinators and therefore vital to pollinate the food we need to survive as well as many habitats for wildlife. At Campo de Santana you will visit the Honey Museum exhibition where a short 10-minute video about bees is shown to introduce you into the bee world. A major attraction at the exhibition and especially popular with visitors is the hive observatory, that is, a window into the world of bees where you can watch the activities of bees and many other secrets. The experience also involves visiting an apiary, as well as tasting fresh honey from the season, consumed directly from the combs. During this visit, all necessary protective equipment is provided. And just before you leave, excite your senses with the taste of pollen or even with flavorsome honey.
Day 3 - São Miguel
The experience reserved for this day starts at the fishing harbour of the village of Porto Formoso. A genuine experience awaits you on board of an artisanal fishing boat along the northern coast of the island leaving the picturesque village of Porto Formoso. The abundance of sea life makes the Azores one of the most exciting places in the world for the fishing enthusiast. Coastal fishing is a type of fishing along the coast where you can find a wide variety of fish such as barracuda, bluefish, forkbeard, blacktail comber, amberjack, guelly jack, chub mackerel, white seabream, mullet, atlantic bonito, etc. You can also try some fishing techniques according to the kind of fishery at that day. All the way you can enjoy the magnificent colour and scenery given by green island and blue sea. During the 5/6 hours trip you will be side by side with experienced fisherman and all the necessary equipment to the fishing will be provided (gear and safety equipment). Practical information: boat is equipped with all necessary safety and fishing equipment but you can also bring your own gear.
Day 4 - São Miguel
The experience of this day takes place at the farm Quinta Pimentel, located in one of the most beautiful municipalities of the island of São Miguel, Nordeste. Quinta Pimentel is a family business that opened their doors to everyone who wants to learn about the farm animals at the Azores. The visit to the farm consists of an explanation of the whole process of handling dairy cows, calves and heifers. Visitors have the possibility to moo the cow "Matilde" and have contact with the calves. The visitors are invited to see, pet, and feed the small animals of the Quinta (goats, sheep, rabbits, chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, among others). This farm is part of the program Vacas Felizes (Happy Cows), a milk program that aims to ensure that cows are fed on pastures 365 days a year and with the strictest quality, sustainability and animal welfare criteria. All the dairy products offered to visitors are made from the milk produced on the farm.
Day 5 - São Miguel
Free day to relax.
Day 6 - São Miguel
Car delivery at the airport.
Included / Not Included
- 5 nights (breakfast included depending on the hotel selected)
- Meet & greet at the airport of Ponta Delgada and assistance with car rental
- Car rental as per program description:
- Unlimited Kms
- Insurance SCDW
- Insurance TP
- Airport delivery & collection fees
- Royal Visit to the Bees (approximately 3h) - Honey Route Experience
- Traditional Fishing (between 5h/6h) HáMar
- Farm Experience Tour (Experiência na Quinta - around 1h30/2h) - Quinta Pimentel
- Flight ticket to and from the Azores
- Meals other than those mentioned on the program
- Supplements for private tours
- Car rental extras not mentioned above (Car rental extras in the Details section)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic some of the entrances and activities on the program may have to be cancelled or done in private (subject to supplements) for safety reasons according to the number of participants. Updated information will be provided with the confirmation of the reservation.
Some entrances and activities on the program may have to be cancelled or done in private (subject to supplements) for safety reasons according to the number of participants.Car Rental Details:
- Car Rental Company: AZORES EASY RENT
- Necessary documents: ID or Passport, driver license and VISA or similar must be presented by clients at car rental.
- Drivers license experience: At least 2 years license. Drivers with less than 2 years license: 5,00€ / per day (maximum 35,00€ / per each rental)
- Young driver: drivers aged between 18 and 23 years inclusive: 3,00€ / per day (maximum 21,00€ / per each rental)